As many of you know, Jamie and I have suffered several miscarriages during our marriage. While working as houseparents in Northern Virginia last summer, I had my fifth one. It was August 21st, and we were at a Christian camp in Maryland with the girls from the group home. On Wednesday night, approximately 80 troubled teens and all of the campus staff attended a worship service. Both Jamie and I felt it was a great opportunity for us to stand before everyone and talk about the suffering we had previously and were currently experiencing. Although it was difficult, through the tears, I was able to explain to the teens something they all knew too well, that life is hard. I told them that I wanted so much to have a baby with Jamie and to experience all that comes with a nine month pregnancy.The sad truth was, however, that I, nor Jamie, had any idea if we would ever be able to have a baby together. I told them that we may need to look into adoption or foster parenting, in order to have a baby, and that would be fine because I had faith in a Great Big God who would give us our hearts’ desires, and He would do the same for them, if they would just have faith and hang in there. Life would still have its difficulties, but we have a hope in Christ that will carry us through those times. Many wondered why God would allow this to happen to us. The truth was I wondered myself sometimes, but it was worth it to have a strong testimony to share with all of those kids…
When we returned from camp, I went to what was supposed to be our first ultrasound, but it ended up being a check-up from the miscarriage. We saw the baby on the monitor, which was hard. There was no heartbeat of course, and the doctor said everything should be complete in a week or so, however, I stopped bleeding that day. It wasn’t until early October that I realized I might be experiencing complications from the miscarriage. It still hadn’t “completed” itself. I felt tired, a little nauseous, and my stomach seemed harder…my pants just weren’t fitting quite the same!
On October 18, 2006, we went to the doctor. She seemed very concerned that I hadn’t come in earlier. She ordered some blood work, and asked me to come back the next day. I was a little hesitant because Jamie had a dentist appointment the next day, so he wouldn’t be able to go with me, but I agreed. The next morning, I said to Jamie, “Either my body still thinks it’s still pregnant or I am pregnant. You don’t think I could be pregnant, do you?” We both knew that idea was crazy.
As I sat in the chair getting my blood pressure taken, I asked the nurse what the results of my blood work was. She said, “Well, your HcG level is 83,000.” My jaw dropped.
“I’m pregnant?!?”
“Yes. Very pregnant. The doctor is getting ready. Don’t worry, we’re going to do an ultrasound in just a few minutes.”
I was speechless. As I lay on the table, I laughed and cried at the same time. On the screen in front of me, for the first time ever, was a baby with a heartbeat!!! It measured eight weeks and three days old. You do the math. I had gotten pregnant two weeks after the miscarriage in August. I had no idea it was even a possibility! I thought it was complications…not another pregnancy!!! I immediately called my mom. I couldn’t wait! I had to tell someone, and I couldn’t tell Jamie over the phone. As soon as he got back from the dentist, I showed him the ultrasound picture. Needless to say, he was stunned!

Fast forward seven months…Jadon James Russell Salamanca was born on May 27, 2007. Since then, he has grown over six inches and now weighs almost 16 pounds. He was born with a full head of black hair, lost it all, and now has a full head again. He smiles, giggles, and has two teeth :) He has been rolling over for almost three months, lifts his chest off the ground, can sit up unassisted for short periods, and is beginning to lunge forward, while on his belly. He eats lots of fruits and veggies, cereal, and loves nursing from his mommy still :-) He loves to jump in his jumper, play with his ABC ball, and chews anything he can get his little hands on! His favorites are being outside, listening to Christmas jazz music, getting a bath from daddy, and listening to mommy sing. He has brought such joy to everyone in his family, and we can’t imagine a day ever existed without him :-)





No comments:
Post a Comment