We strapped him in his carseat, and then he started crying that he had to potty, and obviously we weren't near a restroom, so I had to tell him it was okay to go ahead and pee in his pull-up. He cried because he didn't want to do it, but then finally did. Then he cried some more because I'm assuming he hated the feeling of sitting in a wet diaper, since he hasn't done that in months. Jamie gave him a quick change in the parking lot (yes, the parking lot because public restrooms are DISGUSTING!!! More on that in a later post, no doubt!).
I stayed in the car with a sleeping Macy (no surprise there), while Jadon went into Target with Jamie. They were back out within 10 minutes and within another 3 minutes, Jadon was OUT! He was exhausted...weird :/ So we let him go to sleep at 7:30pm. I know other kids his age do this on a nightly basis, but Jadon is NEVER asleep before 10pm. We were kind of sad because he hadn't had dinner, he hadn't had a bath, and he was dirty from riding those rides at the mall. But we put him in bed and thought he just might sleep until 7am???
Around 11pm, I was on the phone with my mom and asked Jamie to go check on him. I heard Jadon start crying, so I got off the phone. Poor, poor baby :/ He was definitely fevered...so much he was shaking :( I put him in his high chair, trying my best to get some fluids down him. He drank some juice and ate some mandarin oranges (one of his favorites), but he sort of freaked out when I tried taking his temp under his arm...I'm thinking the alternative is SO much worse, so I persisted. The best reading I could get with him squirming was around 101*F. I gave him Tylenol and cuddled and kissed him a lot, then let him play in a luke warm bath for about 45 minutes. By the time he got out of the tub, he seemed SO much better. In fact, I worried that he might now not go back to sleep until 5am. Thankfully, I was able to lay with him on the couch, and he was back to sleep by 1am.
Jamie and I talked about what might be wrong with him. He was SUPER irritable, tired and fevered...just not himself. For a few weeks now, Jadon has been pulling at his pee-pee. Sometimes, we think it's just a little boy thing that happens at this stage of exploration. Then other times, he will almost cry, when he pulls at it. Hmmm. Wednesday, we had seen more of this behavior out of him than ever before. In fact, he has said several times that he had to go potty, but would only sit there, then when he was taken off the potty, he would fuss and pull at his pee-pee again. Within 10 minutes, he was usually back on the potty, but would actually pee then...so weird!
This wasn't something that was happening everyday, and many times was a very isolated incident that would last 10 minutes. We got really worried, when he pulled at his pee-pee on Wednesday night and fell to the floor on his knees and kept fussing and was almost in tears. What in the world was going on???
Yesterday morning, I did my best to take his temp again. Only around 99*F, but I went ahead and gave him a second dose of Tylenol. I don't like giving any meds, but worried if it was some sort of urinary infection that he might also be in pain. Jadon was ULTRA-irritable yesterday morning, so I called and made an appt. with a doctor (requesting to see a female, so he wouldn't be freaked out as much, if they had to examine him). They said we could come and get a sterile cup to do a urine sample, if we wanted to have it with us at 4pm, so we did that.
Before we left the house, Jadon was doing the back-and-forth to the potty thing. He was fussy, seeming like he needed to potty, but couldn't go, once he was on it. Five minutes later, he finally sat down and peed. We were ready to see the doctor!
Saw the doctor, a female, which didn't make any difference because she was no nicer than a male doctor, seeming to not want to listen to what we had to say and in a hurry get her last patient (Jadon) seen and out the door by 5pm. So annoying! We explained everything we had seen in him recently, and that we really weren't concerned until Wednesday night because he had a fever and then the potty stuff seemed to be getting a bit worse. I also told her that Jadon had pulled at one of his ears quite a few times in the last week, like it was itching inside, but he didn't seem in pain from it.
She checked his urine...all clear. She checked his blood counts...just fine. She looked in his ears...a tiny bit of clear fluid in one, but nothing to worry about at all. Lastly, she felt his belly and groin area...notta. Don't get me wrong, I'm SUPER THANKFUL that Jadon seemed to be fine to the doctor and she checked him off as having a clean bill of health, but c'mon! Nobody knows a baby like the parents...nobody! We're telling you, lady, this kid not only has a fever, he's acting REALLY, REALLY different. She said not to even give Tylenol (which, in some ways, I really appreciate). So we're left with a big question mark. No clue what's going on with him. I mean, we definitely pray it's done and over. I'm assuming if it was some sort of issue with his male parts (i.e. an infection, a blockage, etc.), we would see more of this behavior more frequently, and I'm doubtful the fever would wane, which is seems to have done. Ahhhh (big sigh)...maybe we're crazy. Thankfully he is okay!
Our yesterday was not so much fun, that's for sure. It was pouring down the rain, cloudy ALL day, and we had to drag two fussy kids out in it. To top it off, Jadon likely caused us to appear like abusive parents to the doctor and nurses. I've told you before that he is genuinely apologetic, when he does something to Macy or is defiant, but he also apologizes for things he shouldn't. We are constantly telling him, "You don't have to be sorry, buddy. It's okay." Guess he doesn't get it because he kept telling everyone he was "sawduh" yesterday. Apparently he thought he was being punished by the doctor and nurses. What the??? He only gets a time-out for discipline anyway for cryin' out loud!!!
Why would he think we'd want someone to poke and prod at him as punishment??? It broke my heart...and Jamie's :/ It was aweful to hear him repeat, "Sawduh," a million times, while he was (1) being weighed in (that hurts???), (2) getting his ears checked and (3) getting blood drawn (yikes!). It was as if he was begging us for mercy. "I promise, I'll never do it again...just don't let them hurt me anymore." Oh my! I seriously question my ability to do this job any more. I pray I never have to see my babies suffer. I'll fold...close up shop...I can't do it!
Thankfully we don't have to take him back for shots for a few years. I need to be able to verbally communicate with Jadon, before that happens again. This face breaks my heart in so many ways, every single day...honest to goodness!
Sawduh you had to be put through that, Jadon :/ Sawduh you got a fever and didn't feel good for a few days :/ Sawduh Mommy and Daddy don't always know what you are saying and that you can't communicate somethings to us yet :/ Sawduh you had to get your blood drawn and get a "boo boo." Sawduh, baby. Momma's sawduh.
If it's any consolation, I did allow you to have a ton of grape juice, a popcicle, and anything else you wanted for 24 hours...somehow that ended up including Jelly Bellies jelly beans.
As fast as they'd go in, "Geen, yeddow, duhduh (purple), red, awich (orange), doo (blue)." If you get any cavities, I'll be really sawduh!





No comments:
Post a Comment