The experts recommend you breastfeed exclusively for six months (if you want), but since we are taking a trip to the mountains of NC, when Jamie's family comes in July, I wanted to be out of the practice mode with Macy eating before then. Needless to say, things didn't go near as well with her as they did with Jadon. Despite two attempts at feedings everyday since then, things have not improved AT ALL. Her tongue is just too stiff. She spits EVERYTHING that goes in right back out :/
Here she is just before getting her first taste. She looks sooo tiny in that seat, compared to Jadon!
Here's just a short clip of her eating, right before the battery to our camera died :/
Jadon lapping it up back in October 2007:
So the doctor tells us today that a baby who is exclusively breastfed (never had even one bottle) up to the age of six months will NOT take a bottle until after a year old (even if it is pumped breastmilk in the bottle). WHAT??? He may just be right because Macy is CLUELESS how to suck on a bottle. She HATES it! This is a bummer because it means that I am forced to nurse her like FOREVER (i.e. at the beach, while on a road trip, if I ever want a date night with my husband(!!!)).
I had no idea this was the case. I never thought about it. I had given Jadon a small bottle here and there, when he was just a few months old (mainly for things like going to Target or on a short trip, if I didn't want to whip out my boob...which I NEVER do, duh!). So Jadon learned fairly early on how to suck a bottle, even though he really was breastfed 99% of the time.
I think we're going to try to get Macy to take a 2-4oz. bottle everyday for a while...or at least try because I'm thinking this could be a really tough issue to deal with when it comes time to wean her. Can you imagine weaning a baby who has ONLY had the breast for at least 12 months directly to a bottle of cow's milk? :/ I'm thinking that could be difficult. Like I said, with Jadon, he really did like the taste of formula and knew how to hold a bottle by himself way before he was weaned at 11 1/2 months. The learning process of parenting is endless, no?





No comments:
Post a Comment