Friday, May 9, 2008

Have I told you?

Dear James,

While Jadon was taking his nap today, I came across the blog of a guy who lost his wife just weeks ago. She died the day after their daughter was born. It is such a tragic story. So now he is left with the most beautiful gift, their daughter, to raise by himself, missing his other most treasured gift, his wife. It made me wonder if you truly know what you mean to me, as my husband and the father of my baby boy. In case I have failed in any way to tell you how much I adore you and appreciate you, who you are and all you do, here is a piece of my heart and what I feel for you. This is not all-inclusive or all-encompassing, for sure...that would take much longer than the time I have to write, before Jadon wakes up from his nap ;)

(This is gonna be a free flowing kinda, heart-felt thing, people...)

You are patient, generous, and kind. You love coffee WAY too much, but I love going to Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts with you and enjoying a home-brewed cup on your mornings off. I love that you read your Bible and Christian living books and keep a highlighter in hand, when doing so. I love that you talked to that guy at work yesterday who was having a bad day. I love that you aren't competitive at your job or anywhere else. I love that you aren't envious of the guys at work who drive Hummers and BMWs, make more money than they know what to do with, and go to strip clubs and bars after work. I'm thankful that you stand out at work as a "family man," as said by one of your younger co-workers.

You left your underwear in the bathroom again this morning...I put them in the clothes hamper AGAIN ;) Thanks for not leaving your socks on the floor by the bed. I'll continue to pick up both, and do my best to smile when I do :) I like that you call Jadon your "buddy." It makes me happy that you kiss my mom hello and goodbye, when you see her. I'm proud of all of the yard work you've been doing lately, considering you grew up with a gardner. I like that you want Jadon to wear tank tops in the summer because you think he's cute in them. You do an amazing job of keeping the bills paid on time and keeping the check book balanced. Although it makes me wonder about you, I think it's funny that you can sit for hours and look up college basketball stats and research any and every college in the USA. Why do you do that??? Oh well...just keep doing it.

I like finding Christian music in your CD player in your car, even if it is a new CD you didn't tell me you were going to buy. Will you please not go to Lifeway without me anymore though? Jadon says thanks for all the Veggie Tales DVDs he has to watch, when he's like five. It is cute that you bought them for him already though...because you read the Lifeway advertisement and saw that they were on sale for only $5. I'm sorry you have allergies, and the pollen in South Carolina gives you the most horrible cough. Thanks for running into the bathroom at night to cough, so you won't wake Jadon up. I love sharing treats from dessert counters with you!

I can't think of any of my most favorite memories without you in them. Traveling with you has been the highlight of my life (minus having Jadon). Can you believe we drove so far to Rohoboth Beach just to walk around for like an hour that time? Thank you for being so attentive and supportive through all of my miscarriages. You do it all...go get food, clean up, rub my feet. You're such an amazing husband! Can I ask that you not eat processed or deep-fried frozen foods like taquitos and hot dogs though? It would be nice for Jadon to see you eat more fruits and veggies (besides the bananas you share with him at night). I don't mean to nag you about that; I just want you to be as healthy as possible, so we can take a long drive back to Rohoboth when we're like 75.

Thank you SOOO much for packing our stuff so we could move from northern VA, while I was pregant and utterly exhausted. You are THE WORLD'S GREATEST PACKER! You label everything, and I love it! I like your hand writing...it's better than mine. You have given Jadon nearly every bath he has ever had, and you are the only one who rubs lotion on him, even though it makes him sweat. He has your eyes, nose, and mouth. Who am I kidding, he's your "twin." Like you say, "Looks like Daddy, acts like Mommy." Thanks for going on walks with us, everytime I ask you. If I had more money (which wouldn't be hard), I'd buy you a closet full of Keens, so your knees would never hurt from walking. P.S. You're old!

I am thankful that you don't care to wear a hearing aid at your age. Must be nice to turn it off at night. I'll likely continue to get frustrated with you for forgetting to put it in sometimes...that's just how I am. And I'm sure you know I'd "NEVER forget to put my contacts in!" Can I just say that I have a husband who has prayed with me from the beginning of our relationship? THAT is truly the best part of it all...that you love the Lord with all of your heart, and you help keep him at the center of our lives. I'll never forget you holding my pregnant belly and praying for our baby every night. Keep prayin'...I'd like to have my own little soccer team :)

James, you are the fun in my life. You get me. You are the yin to my yang. I love our inside jokes. I love that you make fun of me, when I'm being ridiculous. You are the only person who can make me laugh about myself without offending me. You are just what I need. You're not a great cook, but I'd have you make me a sandwich any day. Maybe we'll open a small mom and pop shop restaurant one day. You always give me a kiss and say, "Thanks, mums," before you eat anything I've made you. You buy things at the store without having to be reminded that we need them (like paper towels and diapers for Jadon). You are so thoughtful!

I love that you don't mind tagging along with me and my girlfriends, but you never mind giving us girl time either. Thanks for watching Jadon, while I'm on the phone with them in the evenings sometimes. I had more fun doing absolutely nothing with you in May 2006, than I ever have in my life! There is NO ONE I would rather spend time with at the beach reading than you. I'll never forget picking candle wax off of the floor at my apartment at Chateau in May 2002. I knew then, and I still feel the same now that I don't mind doing nothing, as long as it's with you.

Random things: Spa Palace, "pepperoni-a-slice", the Pump House, crossing my fingers at Urban Outfitters, Waters without socks, Joe Deadly, Warm It Up Chris, old school rap you think I won't know, teaching Sunday school at North View, our church family at Chestnut Ridge and Wired, watching Frontline on Sunday evenings at Windsor Green when Jadon was just a teeny baby, listening to you read Dr. Seuss to Jadon ("King of Kerchoo"), weekends in Pittsburgh, Lebron & Kobe in Cleveland, FAO Schwartz in NYC, South Street in Philly, Princeton, NJ, Georgetown!, crazy Matt in black dress socks and shorts, Atlanta and Elijah, dancing at Bent Willey's, moving over and over again, Christian Help meetings that made me proud to be your wife, you getting sick at Family Kingdom, me falling asleep five minutes into any DVD you rent...so many things...

How about a few more? The Tonight Show, Universal Studios, Disney Land, California Adventures, Paramount, trying to buy a house in Charleston and Morgantown, you driving to Pittsburgh every Thursday for two years for grad school, Saturday mornings at Quest, toy drives and back-to-school events, Acquire the Fire, Promise Keepers, volunteering to be a "Super Man" for Women of Faith, Wrightsville Beach in Wilmington, carriage rides in Charleston, Whole Foods Market in every city we go to, you speaking at 'Countdown to Christ', snorkling at Xpu-Ha, that guy pooping everywhere at Christian Help, the Pacific Coast Highway, taking pics in Laguna Beach, the Santa Monica pier, Kiawah Island, and don't forget our contest to see who can take the most pics of the other asleep with their mouth open :)...and SOOO many more...

I love you, James. I cannot imagine my life without you. I'm sure I could insert some amazing Biblical scripture that you truly live up to or song lyrics that remind me of how amazing you are, or I could add hundreds of pics of times I've spent with you that make me smile, but Jadon would be up from his nap by then ;) So I'll leave you with a few...not my favorites, per se, and in no particular order...honestly, just a few that I have on the hard drive of this computer.
April 2006 @ Rich & Sandy's (going away bonfire):

Parasailing in Mexico:

Halloween 2005 (bubble bath and a cowboy):

Tree63 in Grove City, PA (Sept. '05):Gotcha! WVU class of 2029??? (October 2007): The three most handsome boys I know (July 2007):

I can't explain it, but this one captures everything I love about you:

James, do you know how much I adore you? Like Rod Stewart, "Have I told you lately that I love you?" And Jamie says, "Man, you're a dork...you are!"

"Peace in the Mummah East!" Now who's the dork???

1 comment:

T@R@ said...

so sweet! and i cried when i read that blog about that guy and his wife btw....so tragic and yet an amazing memorial of her impact on him and the world....love and miss you guys so much! hope to get to see you sometime this summer :)

*/ /* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */ body { background-image: url(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2334/2374750084_ae6b4950c6_o.jpg); margin:0; color:$textcolor; font:x-small Georgia Serif; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; text-align: center; } a:link { color:$linkcolor; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:$visitedlinkcolor; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:$titlecolor; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ #header-wrapper { width:999px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:0px solid $bordercolor; } #header { height: 514px; width: 930px; background-image: url(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2286/2248013622_00ed1be0e0_o.jpg); color:$pagetitlecolor; } #header h1 { font: $pagetitlefont; color: #800000; font-size: 500%; text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; text-align: left; margin: 0px 0px 0px 50px; max-width: 800px; } #header a { color:$pagetitlecolor; text-decoration:none; } #header a:hover { color:$pagetitlecolor; } #header .description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 15px; max-width:700px; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; line-height: 1.4em; font: $descriptionfont; color: $descriptioncolor; } .ad { margin: 10px; border: 1px solid $bordercolor; text-align: center; color:$pagetitlecolor; } /* Outer-Wrapper ----------------------------------------------- */ #outer-wrapper { width: 999px; margin:0 auto; padding:20px; text-align:left; font: $bodyfont; } #main-wrapper { width: 410px; float: left; margin:0px 10px 0px 0px; word-wrap: break-word; /* fix for long text breaking sidebar float in IE */ overflow: hidden; /* fix for long non-text content breaking IE sidebar float */ background-image: url(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2384/2248023298_b5f68ba8e0_o.jpg); border: 3px solid $bordercolor; padding: 5px 10px 5px 10px; } .sidebar-wrapper { width: 210px; float: left; margin:0px 10px 0px 0px; word-wrap: break-word; /* fix for long text breaking sidebar float in IE */ overflow: hidden; /* fix for long non-text content breaking IE sidebar float */ background-image: url(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2384/2248023298_b5f68ba8e0_o.jpg); border: 3px solid $bordercolor; padding: 5px 10px 5px 10px; } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:$headerfont; line-height: 1.4em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:$sidebarcolor; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ h2.date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted $bordercolor; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .post h3 { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:$titlecolor; } .post h3 a, .post h3 a:visited, .post h3 strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:$titlecolor; font-weight:normal; } .post h3 strong, .post h3 a:hover { color:$textcolor; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } .post-footer { margin: .75em 0; color:$sidebarcolor; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; font: $postfooterfont; line-height: 1.4em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid $bordercolor; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font-weight: bold; line-height: 1.4em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color: $sidebarcolor; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block .comment-author { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block .comment-body { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block .comment-footer { margin:-.25em 0 2em; line-height: 1.4em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } #blog-pager-newer-link { float: left; } #blog-pager-older-link { float: right; } #blog-pager { text-align: center; } .feed-links { clear: both; line-height: 2.5em; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ .sidebar { color: $sidebartextcolor; line-height: 1.5em; } .sidebar ul { list-style:none; margin:0 0 0; padding:0 0 0; } .sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } .sidebar .widget, .main .widget { border-bottom:1px dotted $bordercolor; margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; } .main .Blog { border-bottom-width: 0; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ .profile-img { float: left; margin: 0 5px 5px 0; padding: 4px; border: 1px solid $bordercolor; } .profile-data { margin:0; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; font: $postfooterfont; color: $sidebarcolor; font-weight: bold; line-height: 1.6em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-textblock { margin: 0.5em 0; line-height: 1.6em; } .profile-link { font: $postfooterfont; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: .1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:890px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; padding-top:15px; line-height: 1.6em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; text-align: center; } /** Page structure tweaks for layout editor wireframe */ body#layout #header { margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; } ]]>