
Today? Not so much :/ We debated leaving and heading to Aiken, where my mom is staying in a hotel for work, but opted to 'ride the storm out,' after talking to a few locals and neighbors who have been there, during past tropical storms and/or hurricanes. The drains on the house have been replaced (thanks to my awesome husband); tons of bottled water purchased; lots of extra batteries and a few extra large flashlights are ready to go; the bathtubs will be filled later tonight (just in case we don't have water, so we can flush the toilets); the cat has been given a bath and been given the spare bedroom suite (he's in heaven!); Jamie's car is safe in the garage, since the trunk leaks during heavy rains; the trash can, potted plants from the front entry way, and the hoses have all been brought into the house/garage; hmmm....what else? Oh yeah, and we have full tanks of gas in the cars and new tires on my car, since we slid all over the road last week, when the roads were slightly wet (Jadon's life flashed before my eyes, and all I could do in the car, as Jamie was attempting to correct the wheels, was look back at him in his car seat and pray in desperation!). I suppose we've done all we can to prepare for Hanna. Now we sit and wait as she approaches with her 70 mph winds :/
Will this be like a snow storm warning in West Virginia, when the bread and milk shelves are left empty at Kroger? Then, after so much hype, you end up with 1-2 inches of snow...so ridiculous. Will Hanna really deliver 70 mph winds to our neck of the woods, or will she hit further north near the NC border? Either way, we prepared the best we knew how.
Neither of us have ever been through a hurricane, nor have my mom or Wally in the three years they have lived here, so I'm pretty anxious about it. The only room(?) in our house without a double or triple sized picture window is my walk-in closet and the laundry room. I envision me sitting in the floor, clutching a sleeping Jadon, crying in one of those places tonight, when the storm hits (approx. midnight - 2am). I know I will NOT be one of those people who can sleep through a hurricane, trust me. I am a very light sleeper. Jamie, on the other hand, has had to promise to wear his hearing aid and stay awake with me, so he can hear everything I do...that we, when I am scared and he tries to calm me, I'll know he really hears what's going on.
Oh yeah, and there are tornado warnings in effect until 5am in this area. Apparently tropical storms brings lots of those along with them :( All I can think of is the fact that I have only experienced 20-25 mph winds in my entire life. This is going to be THREE TIMES that!!! Okay, I'm starting to scare myself. Off to shower, just in case we can't tomorrow.
And one more thing: My mom didn't come home from Aiken today, like she usually does on Fridays, due to work overload :/ Just wondering, Mother...what would you think of me leaving Jadon stranded without me, when a hurricane is about to hit, huh? :( No matter how old you are, it always feels safer to have your mom with you, when you are scared :( Now I have to worry about you getting home safe tomorrow night :( Darn Hanna!





No comments:
Post a Comment